Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Crystal Heck Interview

So excited to share this with everyone! I will be featuring different people in the fitness world on my blog! Its a great way to get someone else's insight, tips and advice. Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I do. I love hearing about other peoples journeys.  
 
So to kick it off Crystal Heck IFBB Pro, judge, wife and mama has let me pick her brain!!
Enjoy :)
If this isn't some great motivation I don't know what is!
 
Q. How did you get into fitness? What made you decide to compete?
A. I was in gymnastics for 10 years, so when I moved away to college I missed the competitive sports stream. In an attempt to fill my time I started working out in the gym and seen major progress. I had heard of Bodybuilding competitions, and it just so happened that Nationals were being held in Edmonton that year. I got a ticket and went and watched. When I saw the fitness division I knew I had to compete!
 
Q. What is your favorite body part to train?
A. My favorite body part to train is shoulders. I could literally do shoulder workouts every day of the week. My least favorite would have to be legs... so I guess its a good thing I am genetically blessed and already have quads, lol. I think all of the gymnastics and other sports I played as a kid helped build my wheels ;)
 
Q. How did you select your first show and division you competed in?
A. After watching Nationals I knew I wanted to compete in the CBBF (Canadian Bodybuilding Federation) stream so ABBA (Alberta Bodybuilding Association) was an easy choice. I did Northerns the very next year. Fitness was an easy choice for me due to my gymnastics background. I was able to work in gymnastics and dance as well as strength into this division which was a bonus!
 
Q. What was the hardest part about prep?
A. The hardest part about prep is definitely the diet. Especially when you are dieting in the summer time. Friends and family often don't understand how important it is to stay on track and stick to the plan. I don't know how many times I turned down a beer or burger and ate my chicken and broccoli out of my Tupperware haha.
 
Q. What kept you motivated when diet and training got hard?
A. I am a very goal oriented person. Once I set my mind to something there is no backing down. When prepping for a show I would send in my registration and then keep my eye on the prize. Looking at progress pictures always helped too. Just when you think you haven't made any progress look at old pictures to see how your body has changed. This always helped me to carry on in the journey to the stage.
 
Q. What was/is your favorite snack while prepping?
A. I have a major sweet tooth, so when I was dieting I always needed something to curb my cravings. One of my favorites was mixing chocolate flavored protein in with my cooked oats and then putting it in the fridge to cool. It tastes like those haystack cookies! I still eat this even when I am not prepping.
 
 
Q. What supplements did you use?
A. Honestly, I am not a huge supplement taker; however I definitely believe in glutamine!! This is a life saver when it comes to helping recover from those workouts where you body is sore for days after,
 
Q. Do you enjoy judging?
A. I absolutely love judging! I started judging about 5 years ago and try and judge at least one show a year for the Alberta Bodybuilding Association. Being as I have been busy building a family I haven't been on stage myself, but judging allows me to stay current wit the sport as well as stay in touch with all my bodybuilding and fitness friends.
 
Q. How long did it take you to get your pro card?
A. I started competing in 2008- I won Overall Fitness at my very first show then went on to Nationals to place 8th that year. The following year I went to the Natural Nationals and placed 3rd in Fitness short. My fourth show was where I won my pro card. I took a couple years off while in graduate school and in 2011 I went to Montreal and competed at the Natural Nationals again. At the competition I won Fitness short and Fitness Overall which earned me my IFBB (International Federation of Bodybuilders) Pro card.
 
Q. If you could give somebody only one fitness tip what would it be?
A. Stick with it!! Bodybuilding and fitness isn't something that happens over night. Eating clean for 1 week or hitting the gym twice isn't going to give you the dream body you want. You need to make it a lifestyle and make it part of you day to day life.
 
Q. What does the future hold for your fitness career? Are you planning on doing anymore shows?
A.  I am really on the fence with this one. I definitely miss the stage, but at this time I am so happy just being a mommy and working as a speech therapist. We plan on having more kids as well. So maybe one day after I am done having babies I will hit the stage again :)
 
Just want to give Crystal a BIG shout out! Thank you so much for letting us know a little more about you and your career in fitness!! Best of luck with you family and whatever you future holds for you!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment